Hackettstown High School
- Regular Student Council Meetings are held in A 26 on the third Monday of each month from 2:40- 3:30. Tri-Council meetings are scheduled by the administration and held in the HHS Library during lunch.
- Class Meetings are held on a monthly basis and are scheduled by HHS Administration.
- HHS Student Council Classroom is maintained by Administration, Faculty Advisors, and both the President and Vice President of Student Council. All parties must do their utmost to employ Classroom as membership’s primary means of communication and, as such, be aware of the necessity of giving timely notice of announcements, activities, meetings, etc.
- All elected Class Officers serve as Representatives to Student Council and must attend all Regular AND Class Meetings
- Student Council President and Vice-President are elected in June at the last regular Student Council meeting. Graduating Seniors may not vote. Rising Juniors or Seniors may run for President; rising Sophomores and Juniors may run for vice-president.
- Organizational Structure
- Student Council President: runs all Regular Meetings, sets meeting agendas and is the primary liaison with HHS Administration.
- Student Council Vice President: runs Regular Meetings in absence of President, takes roll call and minutes at Regular Meetings (VP may deputize another member to take minutes at his/her discretion), and is the secondary liaison with Administration
- Class Officers represent the concerns of the class that elected them. For the Freshmen, there will be two Representatives from each middle school (Allamuchy, Great Meadows, HMS). Class elections are held at the end of each academic year.
Any student from any class may run for office each year. Each class has its own officer meetings run by their own Class Advisor. These officers are to report the activity of these meetings at the next Regular Student Council meeting in order to assure clear communication between classes, Class Advisors, Student Council officers, Student Council Advisor, and Administration. Class officers also report to their respective classes at Class Meetings. The Class President moderates, The VP does so in the absence of the President, the Class Secretary takes notes, and all Officers/Representatives report out on the work of each Student Council Committee using the Committee notes generated at the Regular Meeting. The Moderator may then field questions from their classmates in the audience (Reps may respond, if possible, table the question for discussion at the next Regular Student Council meeting, or ask a present Administrator to address the question).
- At-Large Members are volunteer members of the student body. Such members are always welcome and encouraged to attend all Regular Meetings. They may join the committee of their choice but should be encouraged to consider any committee which lacks representation from a particular class.
- Committees (Academics, Tiger Pride, Safety, and Building) are comprised of Class Officers from each grade and At-Large Members. The Senior ranking Class officer is the Chair of his/her Committee. Notes should be recorded at each meeting (note-taker is chosen by the Chair and done on a rotating basis). These notes are an essential component of a committee’s work; they assure clear and open communication at all levels and must be available for reporting purposes at Class Meetings. An attempt should always be made for each committee to have at least one member from each grade in order in order to assure equal representation.
- All Minutes, whether taken at Regular Monthly Meetings or Class Meetings must be recorded in a timely manner in a Google Doc and shared with the Student Council President so they may be posted on Student Council Classroom.